A greener campus

We follow and promote the principles of one planet living;
  • minimising our use of non-renewable and scarce natural resources,
  • planning, investing and involving our staff, students and communities in sustainable practices, and
  • providing an education in sustainability relevant to a world threatened by climate change.
Find out more

Need help now?

Need help now?

Wellbeing Services (counselling and mental health support) at the university is not an emergency service, and while we try to offer appointments as quickly as possible, we are not usually able to offer immediate appointments. If you are not able to wait for an appointment, or are concerned that you might harm yourself, please contact one or more of the following sources of support

Emergency Departments

If you feel that your life is in imminent danger then go to the Emergency Department at your nearest hospital – it might help to ask someone to come with you. At hospital you will be able to speak to a mental health professional who will be able to help.

The Emergency Department (also called Accident and Emergency or A&E) in Truro is:

Royal Cornwall Hospital (RCH), Treliske, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3LQ

Tel: 01872 250000

For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, call 999.

When to use 111

You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  • you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  • you think you need to go to Accident and Emergency or need another NHS urgent care service
  • you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  • you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, continue to use that number.

Home Treatment Teams

The Home Treatment Teams offer assessment and home treatment for people over 16 experiencing mental health crisis. This support is offered as an alternative to hospital admission.

Home Treatment Teams are available nationwide, and you can find the contact details of your local area by searching online for “Crisis Resolution and Home Treatment Team”, including in the search the area where you live.

The contact details for the Home Treatment Team in West Cornwall are: Longreach House, Camborne & Redruth Community Hospital, Barncoose Terrace, Redruth, TR15 3ER

Tel: 0845 2303902 (available 24/7.) This number is the West Cornwall branch which covers our local area of Falmouth/ Penryn / Redruth/ Truro etc.

Penryn Campus Security team

If you are on campus or live in one of the University’s halls of residences you can call Glasney Lodge at Penryn Campus on 01326 263503 (3503 from internal phones in Glasney) or Security on 01326 255875(24 hours a day).

Samaritans and other sources of help

If you would like to speak to someone about how you are feeling, you can call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 (available 24 /7/365). Many of the Samaritans’ branches are also open to visitors, so you can speak to someone in person.

The contact details of the Samaritans’ branch in Truro are: Samaritans, 19 Treyew Road, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 2BY

Tel: 01872 277277  Email: jo@samaritans.org

They are usually available to receive callers between 9.00am and 9.00pm 7 days a week. You do not need to make an appointment.


Nightlink is Cornwall's free-phone listening service for anyone 18 years or over, who is experiencing or has experienced emotional distress. Nightlink is also available for people supporting those in emotional distress and anyone who feels they would like to discuss their difficulties in confidence.

They aim to provide listening, understanding, support and respect to callers experiencing emotional distress, and to promote callers' personal empowerment and to encourage control of their situation.

Tel: 0808 8000306 (Free phone) (available 5.00pm to midnight)

You might also find the Students Against Depression,and Papyrus websites helpful.

Please note the presence of links contained on this page does not indicate endorsement by the Universities or FX Plus, although you may find them useful