Bicycle Users Group
If you wish to become a member of the Falmouth and Penryn Campus Bicycle Users Group (BUG) please email firstname.lastname@example.org. As a BUG member you will receive:
- Regular updates on whats happening with regards to cycling on our campuses
- Get involved in Consultations
- Receive regular email updates with cycling information and special offers in local shops; and
- Get invited to our termly BUG meetings
Cyclescheme for Staff
Falmouth Exeter Plus has joined up with Cyclescheme to enable employees to lease bicycles through a government scheme which saves the employee income tax and national insurance on the cost of the cycle/e-bike, and spreads the cost over 12 months.
Cyclescheme allows the employee to redeem a voucher at a large number of local cycle shops in Cornwall which participate in the scheme. The scheme operates under a salary deduction arrangement which is approved by the government.
For Exeter Staff please visit cyclescheme Exeter.
On Campus Facilities
We provide showers and changing facilities free of charge for cyclists at both the Falmouth and Penryn Campuses and there are also secure cycle storage facilities located on both campuses.
Free cycle maintenance stations available 24/7 at both Penryn and Falmouth campuses. Need to adjust your brakes, tighten a nut or pump up your tyres? Pop along and use the stations for free. The workstations are comprised of an integrated work stand, pump and essential bike tools. Located at Penryn campus - between the rear of the fitness centre and the design centre, next to the steps. At Falmouth campus - in the cycle storage, adjacent to the car park by the Creative Advertising studios, below Tannachie building.
There is also free bike tool loan available at the Penryn Campus (the Fitness Centre and at Glasney Lodge).
Copies of the Falmouth and Penryn Active Travel map are available at The Hub, Glasney Lodge, and The Compass.
There are a number of cycle shops within Falmouth and Penryn which offer discounts to students and staff, these are listed on the Falmouth and Penryn Active Travel map:
- Bikeworks Falmouth - 15% off parts, labour and accessories on production of a valid staff or student card
- Cog - 10% off parts, servicing and accessories on production of a valid staff or student card
- Cycle Solutions Bicycle Workshop - 10% off repairs, parts and accessories on production of discount voucher-available at the Active Travel Hub at the Fitness centre, Penryn Campus
- Falmouth Cycles – 10% off bikes and accessories only on production of a valid staff or student card
Second hand bikes are available to purchase at the following places:
- Cycle Solutions, Penryn
- Cyclelogic, Helston
- Clive Mitchell Cycles, Truro
- Bike Chain, Redruth
- Cornwall Life recycle, Camborne
- Private Sales
- Classifieds in West Briton and Falmouth Packet newspapers
- Bike Chain - Bissoe Bike Hire
- Fal Cycling Campaign - promotes cycling and lobbies for better provision in Falmouth and Penryn
- Falmouth Bike Park - Four-Cross track (national standard) all welcome
- 1 South West - A website dedicated to off-road cycling in the South-West with interactive map
- The Track - Five acres of dirt jumps near Redruth suitable for dirt jumps and BMX’s, including foam pit and resi ramp (cycle hire for use at The Track also available)
Cornwall's Mineral Tramways Trails
This is one of the largest networks of its kind in Britain, tracking Cornwalls' mining heritage. The coast to coast trail, linking the Atlantic coast on the North to the Fal Estuary on the South, is surprisingly flat.
It follows the former routes of the Portreath Tram Road, Redruth and Chasewater Railway's. There are many loops you can take to extend your ride and experience a more challenging terrain and off road activities, great for mountain biking. There's something for everyone, of all levels and abilities from mild to extreme.
The trail is almost all off road, so it's great for the less experienced rider. For more information, visit the Sustrans website.